Captain Edward John Smith, master of the Titanic, lived at “Woodhead,” on the South Side of Winn Road, c1911-1912. The houses on this side of the road were only fully numbered in 1918, but it is possible to establish a history of properties 20-52 from maps, street directories, electoral registers and planning documents, and therefore to locate the site of Captain Smith's house.

20: “Villa America” 1909-1915; 6 (Villa America) 1916; 20 (Villa America) 1918-20; 20 1921-1978. Site now occupied by Bermuda Court, 20 Winn Road.
22: “Maxwellton” 1910 -15; 8 1916; 22 1918-1972. Site now occupied by Hamilton Court, 22 Winn Road
24: “Ballencrieff” 1910-1915; 10 (Ballencrieff) 1916; 24 (Ballengrieff) 1918-20; 24 (1921-?) Site now occupied by Regent Court 24-26 Winn Road
26: “Oakhurst” 1907-1915; 12 (Oakhurst) 1916; 26 (Oakhurst) 1918-20; 26 1921-1977. Site now occupied by Regent Court 24-26 Winn Road
28: “Herschel” 1908-1917; 28 1918-1940 (destroyed by bombing 1940?). Site now occupied by Winn Mansions 28 Winn Road
28a-30a: “Victoria House” 1907-1915; “Victoria Lodge” 1916-17; 30 (Victoria Lodge) 1918-20; 30 1921-1942. Bombed 18 April 1942. Site now occupied by 28a, 30, 30a Winn Road.
32: “Woodhead” 1908-c1915; “Coulthurst” 1916; 32 (Coulthurst) 1918-20; 32 1921-1942. Bombed 18 April 1942. Site now occupied by flats, 32 Winn Road.
34: “Lyndale” 1911-1915 (plot vacant on 1910 OS map); 40 (Lyndale) 1916; 34 (Lyndale) 1918-20; 34 1921-1974. Site now occupied by Cheltenham Court, 34 Winn Road. There is a memorial to Captain Smith in entrance to Cheltenham Court, although Woodhead was actually next door.
36: “Rowsley” 1904-1917; 36 (Rowsley) 1918-20; 36 1921-. Planned redevelopment 2015
38: “Speranza” 1904-1917; 38 1918-
40: “Wymering” 1904-1917; 42 1918-2001. St Dismas Hostel for ex-prisoners 1964-c1996. Site now occupied by Armfield House, 40 Winn Road.
42: “Rathmore” 1904-1917; 42 1918-2001. Site now occupied by Compass Court, 42-44 Winn Road.
44: “Ashridge” 1904-1917; 44 (Ashridge) 1918-20; 44 1921-2001. Site now occupied by Compass Court, 42-44 Winn Road.
46: “Cranbourne” 1904-1917; 46 1918-1988. Site now occupied by Tennyson Court, 46-52 Winn Road.
48: “Winnfield” 1905-1917; 48 1918-1988. Site now occupied by Tennyson Court, 46-52 Winn Road.
50: “St Leonard’s” 1904-1917; 50 (St Leonard’s) 1918-20; 50 1921-1988. Site now occupied by Tennyson Court, 46-52 Winn Road.
52: “Boldrewood” 1910-1917; 52 (Boldrewood) 1918-20; 52 1921-1988. Site now occupied by Tennyson Court, 46-52 Winn Road.


Navigation


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z


Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.