No single memorial to the Titanic victims was ever contemplated, and most are still un-commemorated. Sectional memorials in Southampton are as follows:
1) Engineer Officers: Situated in East Park opposite the Cenotaph, it is the largest and probably the most well-known. It is dedicated to the engineer officers, none of whom survived the disaster. It was designed by Messrs. Whitehead and Son and unveiled in April 1914. It is built of grey granite and bronze, and is 30 feet long by 20 feet high. In the centre a winged angel is flanked by relief representations of engineer officers. It is Grade II listed.
2) Titanic Crew: This memorial to the crew of the Titanic (stewards, sailors and firemen) originally stood at the southern end of the Common near the end of Cemetery Road. It is a drinking fountain made of Portland Stone by Garret and Haysom of East Street. It was unveiled in 1915 by Mr. Bullions Moody. It now stands in Holy Rood Church.
3) Musicians: A plaque to the memory of the musicians, who, according to reports, played on almost to the moment the ship sank, was erected in the old Central Library, Cumberland Place, in 1913 by the local branch of the Amalgamated Musicians Union. The building and plaque were destroyed by enemy action during the Blitz in 1940. An exact replica was commissioned in 1990 and placed on the wall of a modern office building in Cumberland Place.
4) Sea-post officers: A bronze tablet set in a pillar in the main post office on the High Street was was erected by members of the postal and telegraph services.
5) Musicians: A further memorial to the musicians, a metal tablet, was erected in St Mary’s Church. It survived the Blitz and was subsequently re-erected on a wall in the Seamen's Chapel.
6) Restaurant staff. A brass plate in St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in Bugle Street commemorates the restaurant staff of the Titanic. Many were local men, but about sixty were Italians, and probably attended St Joseph’s when they were in Southampton. Luigi Gatti, who managed one of the restaurants on board, lived in Southampton and also ran a restaurant in the town.
7) A plaque on the wall of Canute Chambers in Canute Road records the fact that this was the headquarters of White Star Line in 1912 and that hundreds of people waited here for news of their loved ones.
8) Two memorials to local victims were erected in local churches, one in St Augustine’s Church in Northam and the other at Holy Trinity, Millbrook. The wooden tablets erected in St Augustine’s were later moved to the Maritime Museum on Town Quay and are now in SeaCity Museum.
9) There are other memorials to individuals in the churchyards of the town.
Titanic Memorials, Worldwide, by Brian Ticehurst. (HS/pd)
Titanic Voices, by Donald Hyslop (et al), p299-314. (HS/pd)
If you wish to
- suggest additional information for this entry
- suggest amendments to this entry
- offer your own research
- make a comment
then fill in the form on the Contact page.