Southampton School of Art was founded in 1855, partly due to the revival of interest in art following the Great Exhibtion in 1851. Its first home was in the Victoria Rooms on Portland Terrace, but when the Hartley Institution was opened in 1862 the school relocated to the Institution’s premises on the High Street. Among its early pupils were Hubert Herkomer and Edward John Gregory (both of whom became Royal Academicians), Rowland McFadden and George Washington Sandell, father of local historian Elsie Sandell.

A prolonged dispute between the school and the head of the Institution eventually led to the school relocating to the upper rooms of the Philharmonic Rooms on Above Bar Street. This accommodation, however, was too small and inadequate for the needs of an expanding school, and in 1908 new premises on Havelock Terrace (rented from the Southampton Savings Bank) were acquired (see clipping below). In 1925 the school was taken over by the local education authority, and in 1939 it moved into new premises next to the Art Gallery in the newly-built Civic Centre and renamed the College of Art.

In November 1940 the Civic Centre art block was badly damaged in an air raid and 37 occupants were killed, including 15 art school students and 3 members of staff. The school moved to Winchester for the remainder of the war.

In 1945 the college moved back to Southampton, initially to the Deanery School in Marsh Lane. In 1973 new premises were built on East Park Terrace next to the Technical College. In 1978 the College of Art and College of Technology merged to form Southampton College of Higher Education. In 1984 the School of Navigation, joined the College of Higher Education, which was renamed Southampton Institute of Higher Education in the same year. In 2005 Southampton Institute became Southampton Solent University.

Newspaper clipping:

see also

Solent University


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z

Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.