The first infirmary, opened in 1838, was situated in a small house in Kingsland. It moved to its present site in Newtown, then a rural setting, in 1844. The site was chosen for its tranquility and its good ventilation and drainage. The new hospital was designed in the Italianate style by architect Thomas Sandon Hack and, when built, could accommodate 40 in-patients.

The doctor brothers, Joseph and William Bullar, their solicitor brother John Bullar and the Reverend Charles Fanshawe were the hospital’s main benefactors in the early years. The Crabbe family of the Glen Eyre estate in Bassett were also regular donors, and initiated the building fund to provide a new east wing which was opened in 1867. The Upper and Lower Crabbe Wards perpetuated the family memory. The Victoria Jubilee Wing was opened by Prince Henry of Battenburg in 1900.

The hospital chapel was built by William Hinves and Alfred Bedborough in 1857 on the corner of Fanshawe Street and Exmoor Road. These two streets no longer exist and the chapel is now situated in the middle of the hospital complex. The interior panelling and oak seats were added in c.1920. The stained glass window dedicated to the memory of Fred Woolley was installed in 1955. The chapel was closed for worship in 1998. It is Grade II listed.

Royal South Hants Hospital

Image Unavailable

A contemporary engraving, 1844.

Royal South Hants Hospital Chapel.

Image Unavailable

Photograph, 1941


See also:


Further reading:

Proud Heritage, by Dorothy M. Watson. (HS/lp)
Southampton Occasional Notes 2nd series, by ‘Townsman’, p51. (HS/h)
Roadshow: Newtown and Nichol’s Town, by Jean H. Cook, Chapter VI, p18-20. (HS/h)


Navigation


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z


Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.