) Bargate: Over the centuries various parts of the Bargate have been used as a gaol. In the Middle Ages it was used as a felons' gaol and in the 16th and 17th centuries there was also a debters' prison here. The south east compartment bears clear traces of such use in the garderobe cell, separated by a 15th century ‘parler’. In the south west compartment the 14th century graffiti on the window jamb suggest a similar medieval use.
2) St. Michaels: In medieval times a gaol existed on the north side of St. Michaels Square, near the east end. In the 15th century it is recorded as being under the vicarage. The Terrier of 1454 lists on the north side of the square 'the tenement built over the prison of the Mayor an commonality of the Town of Southampton', which suggests the gaol was in the basement or vault. The vault is now preserved.
3) God’s House Tower: There were three prisons housed at various times in God's House Tower. The Bridewell was established in 1707 in Lambcote Tower over the gate. To this was added, in 1775, the debtors' prison in the tower and the felons' gaol in the gallery. The building served as a prison until 1855, when a new town gaol was built in Ascupart Street.
4) St Mary’s: A new gaol was built in St. Mary's district between Clifford Street (north), Aberdeen Street (east), Ascupart Street (south) and Jail Street (west) in 1854-5.
5. The Hampshire Female Penitentiary was built in 1827 next to Holy Trinity church on North Front. Closed in the 1850s, the building was subsequently used for a variety of purposes. For much of the 20th century it was a lodging house called Church House.

A possible medieval gaol is the 'Cage' or 'Checkerhouse' at the east end of the north side of Simnel Street. However, this is more likely to have been an inn.

see also

Police Force
Police Stations
Town Watch


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z

Search is temporarily unavailable, we are working to bring it online!

Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.