1) Oxford Street runs from the Bernard Street / Orchard Lane crossing to Terminus Terrace. Before 1840 the area was owned by Queen’s College, Oxford and consisted of a few large houses each with its own grounds. The coming of the railway and docks in the 1840s changed the nature of the area. In 1842 Queen’s College leased land to local developer George Laishley who laid out plans for Oxford Street, Latimer Street and St John’s Street. He subsequently built dwelling houses, warehouses and factories and by the end of the 19th century Oxford Street had become a prosperous business area. It is now in part a conservation area and some interesting early 19th century buildings have survived, including nos. 10-17, a terrace of eight three-storeyed white stuccoed houses (image 1); nos. 18-24 are similar but have a bay window on the first floor (image 2); no. 61 is a three-storeyed neo-classical townhouse of the 1830s which retains many original internal features (image 3). It was the home of Southampton’s first female mayor, Lucia Foster Welch, and afterwards became a doctor’s surgery; nos. 44-49 are also from the early 19th century.

2) A 19th century name for what is now Marlborough Road, Shirley.

1. 10-17 Oxford Street

Image Unavailable

Photograph, 1941

2. 17-24 Oxford Street

Image Unavailable

A row of mid19th century buildings on the north side of Oxford Street. Photograph, c1941

3. 61 Oxford Street

Image Unavailable

A view of the rear of the house from 1941


Businesses in Oxford Street included:


Further Reading
Southampton’s Historic Buildings, by R. J. Coles, p27-28. (HS/k)
Southampton Occasional Notes, 2nd Series by ‘Townsman’, p40. (HS/h)


Navigation


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z


Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.