Ogle House was an 18th century eight-bedroomed town house occupying a site on the west side of Above Bar Street just north of Portland Street, its grounds extending on the north to Manchester Street and on the west to Portland Terrace. Sales particulars of 1875 describe the house as a detached family mansion with a frontage to Above Bar Street of 164 feet.
The forerunner of Ogle House can be identified as the Mawdlin House which appeared in local records from the 17th century and which later became known as the Old Brewhouse. In the 18th century this property was converted into the dwelling house that later became Ogle House. Poor rate books show it to be one of the highest valued residencies in the town and it had many notable owners and occupiers, including Charles Gore. Until 1792, when it was leased by Captain Chaloner Ogle, the house lacked a distinctive name. Ogle bought the property outright in 1805 and lived there until his death in 1814, after which it passed first to his wife and then to her two daughters, Charlotte and Catherine who lived here for the rest of their long lives. The last surviving sister died in 1869 and the house was sold for demolition and development in 1875. In 1876 an attempt to establish a roller-skating rink on the site was unsuccessful. The ornate gates at the entrance to the carriage drive were purchased by Walter Perkins who had them positioned at his own residence, Portswood House. In 1912 one pair of these gates were moved to the entrance to the tennis court and residents’ garden in Abbott's Way, Highfield. Ogle Road was later named after the house.
More Stories of Southampton Streets, by A. G. K. Leonard, 78-88. (HS/h)
Southampton Occasional Notes, by ‘Townsman’, p14. (HS/h)
If you wish to
- suggest additional information for this entry
- suggest amendments to this entry
- offer your own research
- make a comment
then fill in the form on the Contact page.