Clement Hoare owned a vineyard at Sidlesham near Chichester before moving to Southampton in c.1840, where he established a vineyard to the north of Winchester Road, between the modern day Dale Road and Warren Avenue. His land covered about 100 acres, mostly leased from Nathaniel Jeffreys of nearby Hollybrook House. In the 1840s he had built – by Chichester architect John Elliott- and lived at a house called The Vinery, situated just south of Chilworth Road (now Tremona Road), and opposite Laundry Road. Although he grew grapes for eating rather than wine making he was a highly regarded as specialist grower and was the author of a number of books on grape cultivation. He seems to have left Southampton c 1847 and died in Surrey in 1849.

After the vineyard had been given up, The Vinery, described by John Claudius Loudon as a “gem of beauty”, was occupied by prominent families until 1939 when it was demolished to make way for housing development. Vinery Road and Vinery Gardens are modern-day reminders of the house. Until 1924, Dale Road was named Hoare’s Hill in memory of Clement Hoare.

Newspaper clipping:

Further reading:
More Stories of Southampton Streets, by A. G. K. Leonard, p106-110. (HS/h)
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 2004, Volume 27.
Hints for the Improvement of the Town of Southampton, with a Short Notice of the Vineyard at Shirley, by John Claudius Loudon in Gardeners Magazine, vol. 19, 1843, p588-601. (photocopy in Local Studies Library, HS/h)
'Clement Hoare and the Shirley Vineyard, 1838-44', by Richard Preston in Southampton Local History Forum Journal, no. 23, Autumn 2014, p57-63 HS/h


Browse A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y-Z

Search is temporarily unavailable, we are working to bring it online!

Get Involved

If you wish to

  • suggest additional information for this entry
  • suggest amendments to this entry
  • offer your own research
  • make a comment

then fill in the form on the Contact page.