Diaper is a common Southampton surname, particularly associated with the former Itchen Ferry area.
Newspaper clippings (available online or accessible through the Local Studies Library):
- Fisherman Ferryman Soldier Spy: The Diapers of Itchen Ferry - (Southampton Maritime Museum, 2006)
- Fisherman Ferryman Soldier Spy: The Diapers of Itchen Ferry: Heritage trail and events - (Southampton Oral History Unit, probably 2006)
- "Dynasty of the Diaper families" (Echo, date unknown). Article describes the Diaper Heritage Association and notes early Diapers including John Diaper in the 1420s and the sixteenth century Robert Diaper. Includes photographs of Captain Thomas Diaper, Alice Diaper, Tom Diaper, Herbert Diaper, and Grace and Robert Diaper.
- "Charting the course of a boating family" (Echo 25/04/2003). Article describes Ann Galbraith's research and notable past Diapers. Includes pictures of Itchen Ferry (Royal Oak pub), Elixabeth Diaper who ran the Cocoa Rooms in Bitterne, and Captain John Unwin Diaper.
- Article about John Joseph Diaper (Southern Daily Echo 19/02/2007). Describes the life of John Joseph Diaper, who was a fireman on the Titanic, and notes that a drama-documentary, The Search for John Diaper is to be shown. Includes a photograph of John and Alice Diaper and one of their children.
The Diaper Family of Itchen and Woolston, Ann Galbraith (Bitterne Local History Society)
The Diaper Family Tree (CD), The Diaper Heritage Association
If you wish to
- suggest additional information for this entry
- suggest amendments to this entry
- offer your own research
- make a comment
then fill in the form on the Contact page.