The last house in Southampton to be entirely illuminated by candles was 1 Cranbury Terrace. It continued to be lit by candle long after gas and electricity had been introduced into the town. The house was occupied for at least fifty years by Margaret, Marianne and Eleanor Shum, three sisters who leased the house from Dr. William Wilson, vicar of Holy Rood church, after he took up residence in New Place House in 1849. The sisters preferred candle light and refused to install any other means of lighting. The last sister died in 1903.
If you wish to
- suggest additional information for this entry
- suggest amendments to this entry
- offer your own research
- make a comment
then fill in the form on the Contact page.