William Abbott was the owner of Portswood Lodge from c.1847-1857. He appears to have been a retired military man, a captain who had served in India. The census of 1851 records him as a “landed proprietor” then aged 80. His family comprised his wife Marianne, aged 66, his son William, aged 34 and four unmarried daughters aged between 33 and 46. Portswood Lodge was a large country house situated on the west side of Portswood Road. It was built c.1800 for the Taylor family and demolished in 1923, the estate being sold off for housing development. Abbott’s Way, one of the streets built on the site, was named after William Abbott.